Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Hagia Sophia

The Hagia Sophia was a basilica, then a mosque, and is now a museum.  It is interesting to see the mix of Christian imagery and Arabic calligraphy.  The structure is so big I just needed to stand there to try to absorb its size for awhile.

















This picture is from the mausoleum of a sultan on the grounds of the Hagia Sophia.  The sultans each have a specially designed, extensively tiled room for themselves, their wives, and their children.







2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you got to see the Hagia Sophia. I actually know of this place from a video game where I was set in Turkey and had missions centered around this building. The game did a great job of copying the architecture, but these pictures do it even more justice! Awesome!
    -Gianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely put it on your Life List of Places to Go, Gianna! I'm curious about where else in Turkey the video game was set.

    ReplyDelete