Friday, August 3, 2012

Arriving in England and the Ashmoleon Museum

I left Milwaukee Thursday evening and made it into London Friday morning.  I took it as a good sign that I found my luggage right away on the carousel at Heathrow.  I then boarded a bus for an hour-long drive to Oxford (I guess it was actually a bit longer since the driver got lost twice getting out of London!).  I decided to walk the 1+ miles to get to the bed and breakfast where I'm staying for two nights until I move into the dorms at Christ Church.

Tough to say good-bye to my little guy

Assigned reading for my class

Over Lake Michigan

Full moon over Toronto

My tiny room in Oxford



I spent the afternoon and evening exploring and getting myself acquainted with the city.  I had been planning to visit the Ashmoleon Museum while I was here and since I stumbled across it, I ran in for an hour before they closed.  The museum has free admission and an incredible collection of artifacts and artwork from thousands of years ago to the present time.  I saw so many works by painters I studied in my Art History class this summer...Hals, Tintoretto, Cuyp, van Dyck, van Gogh, Matisse, Pisarro, Monet, Manet, and sculptures by Degas and Rodan.  I'll probably go back when I can spend more time there.

Walking towards Christ Church

The Ashmoleon Museum

Mysterious door

Not sure what this means.

Inside the Ashmoleon

My students love their Greek and Latin root words!

A Wall of Busts

Bernadino Licinio's Portrait of a Young Man with a Skull (1490)



Camille Pissarro's Mme Pissarro Sewing Beside a Window


from Pissarro's Pointilism phase

J.M.W. Turner's View of High Street, Oxford:  Still looks very similar!


Sir George Clausen's Farmer's Boy (1884)







1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! Everything looks so old and your room is adorable.

    ReplyDelete