Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Itinerary

Here are my plans while I'm in England:


Thursday, August 2nd:  I leave Milwaukee at 7:50pm, fly to Toronto and then on to London.

Friday, August 3rd:  I arrive in London at 11:25 am local time.  I then take a bus to get to Oxford; Oxford is 57 miles northwest of London.  I am staying at the White House View Guesthouse in Oxford until I move to campus.  I'm hoping to wander around Christ Church Meadow in the evening where longhorn cattle roam and picnickers gather.

David Tanner's Clouds Over Christ Church Meadow (2007)

Saturday, August 4th:  I am doing a tour of the Cotwolds from 10-5:30.


Marilyn Simandle's Bridge in Cotswold

Sunday, August 5th:  I move into the dorms at Christ Church (The University of Oxford is composed of over 30 different colleges; Christ Church is the college where I will be staying and taking a class).  I may try to sneak away to the Ashmoleon Museum or the Oxford Museum of Natural History in the afternoon.

Monday, August 6th:  Class begins!  I am taking a course called "Reading Twentieth Century Poetry" taught by Professor Andrew Blades.  Class meets from 9:15-10:45, then we have a tea and coffee break (my students and I need this back in the States!), and then we meet again from 11:15-12:45.  We have lunch on campus and then we are free to do an Oxford-organized activity or go exploring on our own.  Today's Oxford activity is taking a tour of Christ Church itself, which I plan to do.

Tuesday, August 7th:  Class in the morning.  I'm then going to do a Walking Tour of the city of Oxford.

Wednesday, August 8th:  Class in the morning.  The Oxford-organized activity is visiting Basildon Park.  I may do that or else try to take a bus to visit Blenheim Palace where Sir Winston Churchill was born.  The Palace is eight miles from Oxford.

Thursday, August 9th:  Class in the morning.  This is field trip day for classes at Oxford.   Our class is touring the Bodleian Library where we will get to meet with an archivist to see original works by famous British poets.
Kah Peng's Justice and Passions  [Bodleian Library]


Friday, August 10th:  Class in the morning.  Final formal dinner at night.

Saturday, August 11th:  I will be heading from Oxford back to London.  I found a hotel near Heathrow where I will be staying.  I'm going to stop there first to drop off my luggage and then head into the city to try to experience everything I can related to the Olympics.  I'll probably be headed to "The Mall" (area in front of Buckingham Palace) to see Women's 20K Race-Walking which has an area where you can watch for free.

Sunday, August 12th:  I leave London at noon and get back to Milwaukee at 7:20 pm Central time, in time to watch the Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics with my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment